I’m a huge advocate when it comes to writing in a journal as a way to manage stress and as a way to engage in gratitude. Journaling also forces you to slow down and to concentrate on what you are experiencing.
Before I move forward, I want to share some of the benefits to journaling. Which are:
- Promotes mindfulness
- Boosts memory and understanding
- More likely to reach your goals
- Positive coping skills
- Promotes emotional intelligence
So why should you consider journaling when planning for change?
Well it comes down to intentionality and keeps you more accountable when planning for change.
We normally think of wanting to change something because we do not like what we are currently experiencing. So we naturally want to change it, but it’s a matter of sticking to this change!
As you get ready for the New Year, here are some journaling prompts to help guide you as you focus on the future!
1. What would I like to feel in the New Year?
2. How will I hold onto that feeling?
3. I will accomplish (fill in the blank) next year.
4. I will turn to these people when I need support:
5. I will engage in the following behaviors to be healthy:
6. 2019 will be a year of:
7. I will love myself in 2019 by doing the following:
8. I will let go of perfectionism by remembering that I am worthy because I am:
9. Self-compassion to me means:
10. I will try this in the New Year:
11. Write a note to yourself that you will read on December 31, 2019
Remember that as you journal, there is no right or wrong answer. This is not a test and does not need to be a certain word count. Take this time to envision your future and plan it with intentionality. If you would like to learn more about setting goals with intentionality and planning for the future individually and with your partner, be sure to check out this online class
that provides you with multiple worksheets and videos.
I specialize in working with couples and individuals to restore their relationships by utilizing research-based therapy techniques. Feel free to look at the online services offered through Modern Wellness Counseling and check out the client portal to conveniently schedule your next appointment.